Thursday, February 26

The MAC Reds

L-R: Hang Up, Diva, Riri Woo, Lady Danger, So Chaud, Relentlessly Red

 Red lipsticks are probably my all time favourite shade to wear, I would choose them over a pinky nude any day. As they are my go-to colour for everyday, I have managed to accumulate quite a few, but I always find myself reaching for my MAC reds. I have 6 MAC lipsticks which I would consider reds, ranging from deep burgundies to nearing on orange - so I thought I would do a rundown of them, talking through my favourites and what I like/don't like about each one.

Although Hang Up appears a darkish purple in the tube - due to the creme sheen formula, I find it applies more of a dark berry shade on the lips. The colour is lovely, however I'm not a fan of the glossy finish - as I don't find they last very long and am always worried about bleeding or smearing. Luckily, I seem to have found a matte version of Hang Up, Diva. It is a perfect vampy winter shade (although I wear shades like this all year round). I love wearing this lipstick with dewy skin, highlighted cheeks and lots of lashes. Riri Woo is my only classic red shade from MAC. I got it in a Rhianna collection about 2 years ago, although I'm pretty certain it is exactly the same as Ruby Woo. The finish is Retro Matte, which I know a lot of people don't like as they can tend to be quite drying but they happen to be my favourite formula from MAC. Moving on to my more orangey reds of the bunch is Lady Danger. This has to be one of my favourites of them all. It is a bright matte orange toned red and anytime I wear it people will come up to me and ask me what shade it is. I find it flatters people with a yellow skin tone and those who are more tanned to dark skinned due to the orange tones in it. So Chaud is very similar to Lady Danger, I find So Chaud more of a brick rust red in comparison, although there probably isn't much point owning them both. My last red and possibly my favourite (next to Lady Danger) is Relentlessly Red. Despite the name, I don't actually think it's much of a red and more of a bright pink - but I thought I'd throw it in anyway. Again, this is a lipstick that people always seem to compliment when I have it on (the first time I wore it a girl who worked at the Bobbi Brown counter ran down the isle of John Lewis to ask me what it was, haha!). This is a shade I think looks amazing whether I am pale or tanned, it really brightens my face and is always a good one to wear for a pick me up. The formula is Retro Matte and I can wear it all day (which means a lot of eating a drinking) and it will still look perfect.

They're all the MAC reds I have for now, although there are already a few more on my wish list (oops!). I hope you found this helpful if you were looking into buying a red lipstick from MAC, I know it can be quite daunting when you see all the choice at the counters!

xx

16 comments:

  1. My absolutely favourite lipstick from MAC is also Diva! It is so lovely and the perfect shade. x x

    www.beyondthevelvet.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhh amazing red lipstick collection! You need Dubonnet! Ruby Woo is next on my red lipstick list!

    Jasmine | jasminehardingmakeup.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. will have a look at it! thanks for the recommendation :) x

      Delete
  3. Whenever I look at a Mac counter i just go I WANT IT ALL!

    http://ellabellaslifebook.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really want to try Lady Danger! Got my first Mac lipstick a few weeks ago actually, mine is Cyber, it's dark but amazing. Thanks for this insightful post! x

    www.emiliciastyle.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the look of Cyber! Lady Danger is beautiful x

      Delete
  5. Some lovely choices, I really like Rebel but it is more on the berry side x

    http://xxchloescloset.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like Rebel too - didn't include it as i thought it wasn't very red :) x

      Delete
  6. Lady danger is so sexy! love it xo
    Natalie's

    ReplyDelete
  7. Diva is my all-time favourite shade!
    Relentlessly red looks amazing as well though, might just have to buy it too :)

    Sofia | http://www.lifeforsofia.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete