Tuesday, August 25

Exam Results & Moving On


GCSE results day was on the 20th of August this year and to those of you that did get your results, I hope you're happy with what you've got and are going on to do whatever it is you had planned! I've never really mentioned my school situation on here, just because it's obviously something that is quite private and not all that interesting. But, to put a long story short - I hated school, and as a result it meant I never really went. I didn't think I'd be sitting GCSE's at all this year, in fact - I completely forgot about them until February time, when I realised all my old friends were revising and doing mock exams and I hadn't even chosen any GCSE's. So in March, my parents decided to get me lots of private tutors in attempt to sit all of my GCSE's in May, so I wouldn't be behind all the other kids my age.

 As you can imagine, trying to learn multiple 2 year courses in the space of 2 months was incredibly overwhelming and pretty much impossible, so it had been decided that I would sit my science GCSE's for May and do my other subjects in November. This alone was so stressful, I hadn't attended a science lesson in over 3 years and everything I was learning was completely new to me. The course I chose had 6 exams (2 bio, 2 chem, 2 physics) and was worth 2 GCSE qualifications. The amount of hours it took to learn everything in the syllabus was ridiculous, I was working all day everyday just to learn the basics of the units.

I found the exams really difficult, I obviously hadn't done any mocks in school like the other students and I was so out of practice with exam technique and time keeping that I found myself getting really muddled and often running out of time before the end of the exams. I was so nervous to get my results and when I got the letter on Thursday, I didn't even want to open it. So, now comes to my results. I'm just gonna say it.. I'm really unhappy with my results. I don't know if I'm giving myself a hard time because I see everyone else posting they're results with A*s and I feel like the only one who hasn't achieved the same kind of grades. I did pass both of my GCSE's (passing is considered A* - C), but having always been in the top sets of science and achieving the top grades, knowing that if I had just pushed through and stayed at school I could've gotten the same A*s as everyone else is the worst feeling.

I am constantly seeing people on twitter (usually those in sixth form) saying things like "GCSE's aren't important", "you don't need GCSE's for anything",  and as someone who can't go to sixth form because I don't have them, I'd like to let you know that they are in fact important. Of course, it's not a life or death situation, but they are a stepping stone - and the bottom line is, if you want to go onto sixth form and uni, you really do need GCSE's.

If you are younger than me and are at school about to start your GCSE's, please take it from me and STAY IN SCHOOL. One of my biggest regrets is not staying in school and not taking things seriously, which is causing so many problems for me now. When I see all of the people in my old classes get their results and go onto the next part of their life (sixth form, college, working), whilst I am stuck in limbo, without the grades I need to get where I want to be really makes me regret the decisions I've made.

Saying all of this, I'm sure something will work out! I am proud that I managed to pass my exams and I really have shown myself that if I want something and put in the work, I can get it. I'm excited to move on and focus more on my education, and get all the grades I need to hopefully get into a sixth form and uni *crosses fingers*. I'm also looking into getting a job or maybe doing some volunteering, for some life experience and also as something I can add to my CV, so my 2 GCSE's don't get too lonely, haha.

If you received your results, let me know what you're planning to do next - I would love to hear!
xx

9 comments:

  1. I know how stressful exams were for me even though I had a lot of practice and support around me. But for you it must have been so much harder! The fact you got 2 GCSEs is pretty flipping amazing- don't be so hard on your self xx www.in-x-clouds.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aww thank you, that's really nice to hear :) x

      Delete
  2. I did the same science course by the sounds of it and failed both additional and core - so you've done really well! Well done for doing them, because I know for sure they're not easy - the rest will come with time and I hope it all works out for you x

    Lucy | www.foreverseptemberr.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going into Year11 this year and that means all the exams, pressure and stress! I don't deal well with stress so this is going to be a very interesting year for me! I wish you all the best with your exams and remember it's only a letter on a piece of paper, like all the teachers keep telling me "your grade doesn't define you" hahahaha :)
    Lots of love
    - Molly x

    molly-ap.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. good luck, i'm sure you'll be fine! x

      Delete
  4. coming from an oldie's perspective (reading this made me feel very old), you've done the most amazing thing, and I'm sure everything will fall into place :) x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm doing mocks at the moment and I'm really scared! Always remember that exams don't define how smart you are and I'm hope your other GCSEs go well!x

    ReplyDelete